GF, SF, DF

Gluten free, Grain free, Refined-Sugar free, Lactose free, Yeast free, All Natural cuisine!
"By altering the nutrition we take in, we can effect the constitution of our intestinal flora, and bring it back into balance, healing our digestive tracts and restoring proper absorption."
Read more about it at http://www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info/p/science-behind-the-diet/

Friday, July 6, 2012

How to Prepare SCD Yogurt

SCD yogurt is a main staple in the SCD diet. It's also a great ingredient to always have on hand because it can be used in many recipes to mimic cream liiiiiiiikkke.......ice cream! =) I like ice cream.....and cheesecake.....drooool. =D Anyway, the live bacteria in the yogurt is extremely beneficial to our bodies by introducing the good bacteria back into our gut. I was very intimidated when I first was learning how to make homemade yogurt. There were all these thermometers and times and instructions and I was just intimidated lol. Turns out making homemade yogurt is actually super easy :) I don't really measure the culture starter, you will see how easy it is. I use a lot of yogurt so adjust recipe according to your use. I don't keep yogurt longer than 10 days in the fridge.

* For ice cream I use equal parts of Half and half and whole milk.

Lactose Free Yogurt
1/2 Gallon Whole Milk Vitamin D (This is what I prefer, you can use skim, 1%, 2%, etc... the less fat the more tart)
1 Quart Half & half (I add half and half for a thicker less tart yogurt)
1/4 cup All Natural Plain Yogurt with active culture (this is your culture starter, must only contain milk and culture)
Heating Pad with low/medium/high settings and no auto shut off feature

Serve with raw local honey and some vanilla extract. Add berries for extra flavor and antioxidants! (Only if you are ready to tolerate them)

Instructions:
Bring Milk to a boil while stirring constantly. Once boiling take off heat and set aside until it cools to 115 degrees.  Once at 115 degrees, add your plain yogurt and mix well. Cover and set on a heating pad at medium setting for 24 hours. Make sure you ferment it no less than 24 hours so all of the lactose is gone. Store in fridge 10 days.

*Note:   
-It's ok if it cools to lower than 115 degrees, just don't start timing it until it comes to temp.
-Make sure your heating pad is keeping it at the right temp your first time, use a towel under the pot or adjust settings to find right temp if medium is not working.
-I have only used one with a low/medium/high setting and found medium is best. Also, make sure your heating pad does not have a auto shut off feature.

Dripped Yogurt/like a  cream cheese:
Line a colander with a Paper Towel or Cheese cloth. Find a small bowl that the colander fits in but leaves a couple inches from the bottom and set it in the bowl. Poor the Yogurt into the cheesecloth/paper towel lined colander, cover with plastic wrap or whatever you have and keep in the fridge. Wait about 15-20 minutes  or until thickness you desire. Store in closed container for a week.




 This is my little set-up, right next to my beans I am soaking overnight for a different recipe tomorrow. Just find a little corner :) 


Finished Homemade Yogurt. This is what it will look like. It will smell like sour cream. (I use it for that often!)

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting this. I Googled what I needed and there you were :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so fun being able to help others discover how easy yogurt making is! I hope this works well for you :) Thanks for stopping by my blog! =D

      Delete
  2. I've been on the SCD for just over a year and it has changed my life. I, too, cheated a couple of times, but the resulting smackdown was clear enough that I don't even want to cheat. Chocolate? NO THANKS!

    I want to share my latest culinary success with SCD yoghurt. After you drip it so it's nice and thick, add some honey and lemon zest. It is better than Chobani's greek yoghurt and you can make it as sweet or lemony as you want. It can be a dip, icing on an almond muffin, dessert or breakfast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed Debi! I can't live without my yoghurt :) I also use it daily as a sour cream. My husband and kids can't tell the difference! Thanks for your comment :)

      Delete
  3. Well this is great! EXCEPT...you didn't tell us how to make iiicceeee cream! Dude! Share! :p

    ReplyDelete